The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) invites nominations for the 2017 Canadian Foreign Service Officer Awards. The Awards were initiated in 1990 by PAFSO to recognize exceptional achievements of individual Foreign Service Officers.
The Awards are based on an open nomination process. Nominations are welcome from all interested parties, including the Foreign Service, the private sector, NGOs and the public.
A nominee must be a career Foreign Service Officer who is a substantive member of both the Foreign Service (FS) category of the Public Service of Canada (including FSDP and MCTP) and of PAFSO.
Nominees for the Award will be judged on the basis of:
- initiative and creativity;
- dedication to serving Canada and Canadians;
- effectiveness in interacting with cultures in which the officers have worked; and
- ability to inspire colleagues and professional contacts.
These qualities may have been displayed in the handling of a particular issue or over the length of the officer’s career. Nomination and support for more than one candidate is possible, but there must be a separate nomination for each individual.
To submit a nomination:
- Send a signed letter, facsimile or email to PAFSO.
- This letter should include the name of the nominee and describe as fully as possible how this person has demonstrated his or her exceptional achievement. (Please give detailed, concrete examples.)
- In addition to the letter of nomination, a minimum of two detailed letters of support are required. They should reinforce and expand on the nomination of the candidate and should accompany the nominating letter.
Nominators are encouraged to seek more letters of support from other sources (peers of the nominee, colleagues in other government departments, individuals in the private sector, NGOs and other institutions with which the officer has interacted). They should provide coordinates for those sources, i.e. e-mail address, telephone number and fax number, as appropriate, so that they may be contacted by the Secretary to the Awards Committee for follow-up as required.
All nominations must be received at the PAFSO office by April 5, 2017, either by fax to (613) 241-5911, by mail to Ms. Dilys Buckley-Jones, Secretary to the Awards Committee, PAFSO, 47 Clarence Street, Suite 412, Ottawa ON K1N 9K1, or by e-mail to email@example.com. It would also be helpful if you would let us know in advance that you will be submitting a nomination.
All nominations will be carefully considered by an independent panel of distinguished judges from outside the Departments. Up to four awards will be presented, along with a cash prize, certificate and pin.
The recipients of the Awards will be announced at a dinner hosted by PAFSO in Ottawa on Thursday, June 8, 2017 in the Trillium Ballroom of the Shaw Centre, 55 Colonel By Drive. Further details for the dinner will be available in due course. PAFSO has prepared guidelines for nominations and a brochure describing the Awards, which can be provided to anyone interested in publicizing the Awards or in submitting a nomination. Copies are available from the PAFSO office and on the PAFSO Web site.